Frequently Asked Questions

Public Information


Firm Registration

Examination for Licensure


Public Information

Is the licensee's address of record public information?
Yes. A licensee's address of record is public information pursuant to California Code of Regulations Title 16, Division 24, Article 1, Section 2405, Filing of Addresses, Section 8024.6 (b) of the Business and Professions Code, and the California Public Records Act.


How do I renew my CSR license?
You may renew your license online here:
PLEASE NOTE: You may not complete the renewal payment process online if your license status is: delinquent beyond one year, cancelled, suspended or revoked.
The renewal fee and renewal form can also be mailed to the Board:
Court Reporters Board of California
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 230
Sacramento, CA 95833
Please make checks payable to the Court Reporters Board.

If the Board receives your renewal fee without the renewal form, your check will be returned to you at your address of record.

What is the renewal fee?
Effective January 1, 2019, the renewal fee is $225.00. There is a 30-day grace period before you are charged a $112.50 delinquent fee. During the grace period your license will be in a delinquent status. If you represent yourself as a CSR or utilize your CSR number while in a delinquent status you could be issued a citation and fine of up to $2,500 per occurrence.

Is there an inactive status?
There is no inactive status. You can elect to remain in a delinquent status (ie, don't pay your renewal fee) for up to three years without the need to retake your examination. Business & Professions Code Section 8024.5 states, "A certificate which is not renewed within three years after its expiration may not be renewed, restored or reissued thereafter. The holder of the certificate shall return the expired certificate to the Board." This means that if your license is not renewed within three years during the delinquency period, you must take the entire CSR examination over again!

What are the requirements for mandatory continuing education for license renewal?
The Board has supported mandatory continuing education for several years. The most recent effort, SB671 (Price), was vetoed by the Governor on 9/30/11.

Do I need to notify the Board of an address or name change?
Yes. Business and Professions Code section 8024.6 states that you must notify the Board within 30 days of the change. The address change must be in writing, giving both the old and the new addresses. To submit a name change, you must mail in the name change form, along with legal documentation. Failure to notify the Board within 30 days of such change could also result in a citation and fine and a fee penalty.

Firm Registration

What are the requirements?

Starting July 1, 2022, all non-licensee-owned entities providing court reporting services in California must register with the Board and designate a California Licensed Certified Shorthand Reporter (CSR) to be their reporter-in-charge. All registered non-licensee-owned entities will be under the jurisdiction of the Board and on a list which will be made available on the Board’s website. In 2021, Senate Bill (SB) 241 was passed, implementing the new requirements.

What are the requirements for court reporting firms not owned by licensees to apply for initial registration?

  • An application form completed in its entirety.
  • A check for $500 made payable to the Board.

The applicant must designate a Board-certified reporter-in-charge who:

  • Is a full-time employee of the registered firm and a resident of California.
  • Holds a currently valid, unrestricted California license as a certified shorthand reporter.
  • Is not subject to a pending Board accusation or investigation at the time of the application.

How long does a registration last?

A registration is valid for one year and provides for the suspension and revocation of a registration by the Board under specified circumstances.

Do firms that are wholly owned by CSRs need to register?

No, the new requirements do not impact California court reporting firms that are wholly owned by CSRs. However, these firms may voluntarily register at no charge.

Can California licensed CSRs work for firms not wholly owned by licensees?

California licensed CSRs may only work for firms providing court reporting services that are wholly owned by California licensed CSRs or entities that are registered with the Board.

How are applications processed?

Applications are processed by date received and the Board’s website is updated on a continuous basis.

How can I access the list of registered firms?

The list is available on the Board’s homepage by either clicking on the blue License Search button or License Verification link under Quick Hits. To view the list, follow these steps:

  1. On the license search webpage, under the Boards and Bureaus dropdown box menu, select Court Reporters Board of California.
  2. Under License Type dropdown box menu, select Court Reporter Firm.
  3. Select the “SEARCH” button. The complete list will then be displayed.

To search for a specific firm, enter the firm name under Business Name prior to hitting the search “SEARCH” button.

Where can I find additional information?

Firm registration applications and additional information can be viewed on the Court Reporters Board’s Firm Registration page.

Examination for Licensure

How do I obtain an application to take the CSR examination?
Applications are available on our web site. If you do not have access to a computer, or printer, you may either email your request to, or contact the Board at (877) 327-5272.

What is the cost to take the CSR examination?
There is a $40.00 application fee, which is one-time per three-year cycle. $25 per each separate portion of the examination.

Is fingerprinting required for licensure?
Yes. Business & Professions Code, Section 144 REQUIRES Boards within the Department of Consumer Affairs to obtain fingerprints from all applicants for licensure. Therefore, the Court Reporters Board (CRB) must have you obtain fingerprints, either Live Scan, or Fingerprint Cards. Out of State applicants will need to call the Board office at (877) 327-5272, or email, to request Fingerprint Cards and Exemption Form.


Are complaints filed against a licensee public information?
No. Complaints are not public information. However, if a complaint results in a citation or enforcement action, the citation or enforcement action is public information.

Are Board citations and enforcement actions public information?
Yes. An enforcement action may result from the Board filing an accusation seeking to revoke or suspend a license or certificate.

How do I file a complaint against a licensee?
The Board has developed a standard complaint form to assist complainants in providing the minimum information required before the investigative process can begin. You can fill out and submit the form in the interactive version, or fill out and print the complaint form in PDF format, or call the board office in Sacramento at (916) 263-3660 to obtain a complaint form.

How do I file a complaint against the Board?
The Citizen Complaint Act of 1997 requires that we provide a method for use by California citizens to comment and/or file complaints about the Board. Follow the link from our Comments/Complaints page to fill out and submit the form in the interactive version, or fill out and print the complaint form in PDF format.

How can I know if there are any complaints against my CSR license?
If the Board determines it has jurisdiction, meaning the violation asserted in the complaint falls under a statute or regulation enforced by the Board, the licensee will be contacted as part of the investigation. Complaints against licensees are not public records. However, if a complaint results in a citation or discipline against a licensee, the citation or discipline is public record.